As we’re staying at home to flatten the curve and do our part to stop the spread, we’re seeing many ways that small businesses, especially those owned by Black, Brown, and Asian entrepreneurs or families, are getting hit particularly hard.
Here are some creative ways to support small businesses while keeping your distance. You can find a list of small businesses currently open in AsiaTown at bit.ly/asiatownclecovid, and we’ve added a selection of options below!
- Order takeout! Up your at-home meals by ordering from your favorite Ward 7 restaurant. Many restaurants use Uber Eats or Door Dash if you need delivery, but the best way to support your favorite spot is to call, pay over the phone, and pick up your order! Third-party platforms charge high fees that customers don’t see.
- Take it one step further: Tip as if you’re dining in! Many restaurants have said that at least 80% of their normal customer base is from dining in. Tip to better support the owners and staff since they’re losing this critical form of revenue! Ask to add a tip when you call to pay over the phone.
- Dine together, virtually! Order a meal and send it to a friend, then eat together over a video chat! Snap photos of your food and screenshots of your virtual gathering.
- Take it one step further: Join in OPAWL’s solidarity campaign, #IWillEatWithYou, to support Asian American and Pacific Islander – owned businesses that have been impacted by racist accusations that people of East Asian descent are spreading COVID-19. Adding that hashtag and tagging @teamopawl in your posts and photos!
- Send a love letter! Leave all the heart eyes emojis on your favorite businesses’ Instagram, Facebook, or post some photos from past visits and tag their location. Let them know you love them, and especially if they’re temporarily closed, let them know you miss them and can’t wait to order your favorite meal again! Follow and tag our neighborhood’s social media account, @AsiatownCleveland, @midtowncleinc or @ward7observer so we can keep up with you, too!
- Take it one step further: Leave reviews on Google, Facebook or Yelp for your favorite small businesses.
- Shop local. Are you finding shopping at larger, big-box grocery stores to be stressful? Empty shelves, long lines, and crowding? Neighborhood groceries are more likely to have stocked shelves (and they even have toilet paper and masks!) Ward 7 is lucky to have at least six neighborhood grocery stores, many of which offer curbside pickup! These include Asia Food Company, Good Harvest Food Market, Kim’s, Park to Shop, Tink Holl, and Gallucci’s.
- Take it one step further: Offer to drop off groceries or deliver meals for the elderly and immuno-compromised.
- Buy gift cards for later! Purchasing gift certificates to local restaurants, gift shops, or salons can help get revenue to businesses who are closed or seeing fewer customers.
- Take it one step further: Offer them as gifts to friends, family, front-line workers, or neighbors in need.
Here is a list of restaurants that we have confirmed to be open! Please note that the situations are subject to daily changes and that this list is not inclusive. Just call your favorite places to check on them!
- Bo Loong: 3922 St. Clair Avenue; (216) 391-3113
Hours: 10am – 8 pm; Menu
- Emperor’s Palace: 2136 Rockwell Avenue; (216) 861-9999; Curbside pickup and online ordering; Door Dash; Menu
- Ha Ahn: 3030 Superior Avenue; (216) 664-1152; Hours: 11am – 7pm, closed Sundays; Menu
- Korea House: 3700 Superior Avenue; (216) 431-0462; Hours: 11am – 9pm, Closed Mondays; delivery on Grub Hub, Door Dash
- Li Wah: 2999 Payne Avenue; (216) 696-6556; Hours: 11am – 9pm daily
- LJ Shanghai: 3142 Superior Avenue; (216) 400-6936; Hours: 12-7pm, closed Mondays; Door Dash
- Map of Thailand: 3710 Payne Avenue; (216) 361-2220; Hours: 12-7pm, Closed Sunday; delivery on Door Dash, Postmates
- Pho Lee’s: 1541 E. 38th Street, 1st Floor; (216) 273-7093; Hours: 11am – 8pm, closed Tuesdays; delivery on Uber Eats
- Siam Cafe: 3951 St. Clair Avenue; (216) 361-2323; Hours: 11am – 8pm; Menu
- International Restaurant Grill: (216) 391-2277; Hours: 11am – 6pm daily; takeout only
- Zanzibar: (216) 752-1035; 11am – 11pm Friday and Saturday; 11am-10pm weekdays
- Angie’s Soul Cafe: (216) 426-8890
- Landmark Restaurant: (216) 881-5372; 6am-2pm, Monday to Sunday
- Flame Urban Chicken Grill: (216) 761-6600; open 11am – 10pm; takeout and delivery on GrubHub, Door Dash, Uber Eats
- Capo Steaks: (216) 721-3219; 11am – 8pm, closed Sundays; delivery on Uber Eats and Door Dash
- Kim’s Wings: (216) 681-6644; open 10am- 8:30pm
- Marie’s Restaurant: (216) 361-1816; hours – 11am-9pm, closed Sunday; delivery on Door Dash
- Sunshine Cafe: (216) 266-0140